Friday, January 16, 2004

RICHARD PENNER, KIA, Uzbekistan, January 13, 2004



RICHARD PENNER

Seattle Times 
Mennonite Brethren Herald

I had just come out of an all day Director’s meeting to hear the devastating news of Richard, the field director of World Concern, who was based in Afghanistan. The email read: ‘killed in a domestic plane crash in Tashkent Uzbekistan on Tuesday evening, Jan 13th, 2003’.

I sat at my computer in stunned disbelief for a long time. I was not able to keep back the tears. I remembered when I briefly heard the news, on the radio, of the air crash, wondering if anyone I knew was on it, but then thinking that the only person I really knew who had been in-country was Richard and he’d moved to Mazar-e-Sherif, so he couldn’t have been be affected!

He was a dear brother, with a wicked sense of humour and I will miss his wise contributions (and his not so wise, but witty ones!), borne out of years of experience in the field. He was doing a very similar job to me and we were together last November for meetings in Kabul. On that occasion he travelled with his wife, Ann and we’d all had a wonderful time of sharing and good fellowship (and good food) in a friend's house. We easily forget how precious, fragile and fleeting these moments are. I kept thinking it could so easily have been me, it could have been any one of us who travels frequently to board meetings around the world. It got to me very deeply indeed.


I have a prayer from Russia above my desk at work and my eyes were drawn towards it - particularly the second stanza - I share it with you all. It has become my prayer for Regional staff


The prayer of the last monks of the Optina Hermitage

Lord teach me to meet with peace of mind and spirit
All that the coming day has to bring me.
Help me to devote myself entirely to Your Holy Will
Guard and instruct and countenance me,
throughout every hour of this day.

Whatever the news that I receive today,
Help me to accept it in the calmness of my soul
And firm conviction that all is sustained by Your Holy Will.

In all my deeds and words –
be the leader to my emotions and my intentions
In the unforeseen consequence – do not let me forget
That you are the sender of everything

Teach me how to relate to my fellow brothers and sisters
Open and wisely and without hurting or confusing anyone

O Lord give me strength to endure
the fatigue of the coming day
And all the events that are due to unfold today.
Guard my will and teach me
To pray, to believe, to endure,
to forgive and to love. Amen

No comments: